Friday, June 27, 2014

This season is about becoming

As I struggle with the job-search God meets me where I'm at.  It's called "twenty-five" a chapter in the book Bittersweet by Shaun Niequist and these are His whispers to me:

Here are a few thoughts of being twenty-five-ish...

(Advice #1)
You are young enough to believe that anything is possible, and you are old enough to make that belief a reality...
it takes about ten years after college to find the right fit, and anyone who finds it earlier then that is just plain lucky...
That's what this time is for to figure those things out...

(Advice #2)
Now is also the time to get serious about relationships. And "serious" might mean walking away...

(Advice #3 and #4)
Twenty-five is also a great time to start counseling...
the perfect time to get involved in a church you love...
to connect with God in a way that feels authentic and truthful to you...

(Advice #5)
Stop every once in a while...
Ask yourself some good questions like, Am I proud of the life Im living? What have I tried this month? What have I learned about God this year? What parts of my childhood faith am I leaving behind, and what parts am I choosing to keep with me for this leg of the journey? Do the people I'm spending time with give me life, or make me feel small? Is there any brokenness in my life that's keeping me from moving forward?

This season is about becoming...
Now is your time. Become, believe, try.  Walk closely with people you love, and with other people who believe that God is very good and life is a grand adventure.  Don't spend time with people who make you feel like less than you are.  Don't get stuck in the past, and don't try to fast-forward yourself into a future you haven't yet earned.  Give today all the love and intensity and courage you can, and keep traveling honestly along life's path.

I need to admit I need to hear this. I need to know that even though a month has passed since I graduated (and only a few weeks have past since I finished my last class) that I need to give myself time.  I need to give myself space to become, to risk, to try, to have adventure, to find friends, to find love, to find a church, to find God.  And! It all doesn't have to happen the summer after I graduate.  I have time and space in this season, and though I'll admit to tears and to being grumpy, this is my season, and here's to becoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment